NNNGO Code of Ethics Policy
The Nigeria Network of NGOs Code of Ethics is a demonstration of our commitment to high ethical standards.
This code recognizes that an organization is defined by the people who work for it, and that those people,
board members, executive leaders, staff, and volunteers must demonstrate their ongoing commitment to the
core values of integrity, honesty, fairness, openness, respect, and responsibility.
Our code of ethics is a part of a larger, organization-wide commitment to ethical practices. Our values must be supported by policies and procedures that staff and board follow, and several of these policies are posted on our website. NNNGO also recognizes the importance of an organizational culture that supports high ethical standards, and we encourage such an atmosphere by fostering discussion on ethical issues, promoting transparency about our work, and setting the proper “tone at the top”.
Nigeria Network of NGO’s Statement of Values and Code of Ethics were adapted from the model code of ethics for nonprofit organizations drafted by a special task force of the NNNGO Ethics and Accountability Committee. Distributed to NNNGO members for review from October 2016 through January 2017, the NNNGO Code was approved by the Board of Directors on January 29, 2017.
All staff, board members and volunteers of Nigeria Network of NGOs act with honesty, integrity and openness
whenever they represent the organization. NNNGO promotes a working environment that values respect, fairness
Nigeria Network of NGOs has a clearly stated mission and purpose, approved by the board of directors,
in pursuit of the public good. All of its programs support that mission and all who work for or on behalf
of NNNGO understand and are loyal to that mission and purpose. The mission is responsive to the constituency
and communities served by NNNGO and of value to the society at large.
Nigeria Network of NGOs has a board of directors that is responsible for setting the mission and strategic
direction of the organization and for oversight of the finances, operations, and policies of the
- Ensures that its members have the requisite skills and experience to carry out their duties, that all members understand and fulfill their governance duties by acting for the benefit of NNNGO and its public purpose, and that all members have specified terms of service;
- Has a conflict of interest policy that ensures that any conflicts of interest or the appearance thereof are avoided or appropriately managed through disclosure, recusal or other means;
- Is responsible for the hiring, terminating, and regular review of the performance of the chief executive officer, and ensures that the compensation of the chief executive officer is reasonable and appropriate;
- Ensures that the ED and appropriate staff provide the board with timely and comprehensive information so that the board can effectively carry out its duties;
- Ensures that NNNGO conducts all transactions and dealings with integrity and honesty;
- Ensures that NNNGO promotes working relationships with board members, staff, volunteers, members, and other stakeholders that are based on mutual respect, fairness and openness;
- Ensures that NNNGO is fair and inclusive in its hiring and promotion policies and practices for board, staff and volunteer positions;
- Ensures that policies of NNNGO are in writing, clearly articulated and officially adopted;
- Ensures that the resources of NNNGO are responsibly and prudently managed; and
- Ensures that NNNGO has the capacity to carry out its programs effectively.
Nigeria Network of NGOs is knowledgeable of and complies with Nigeria laws, regulations and
applicable international conventions.
Nigeria Network of NGOs manages its funds responsibly and prudently. NNNGO:
- Spends a reasonable percentage of its annual budget on programs in pursuance of its mission;
- Spends an adequate amount on administrative expenses to ensure effective accounting systems,
- Compensates staff, and any others who may receive compensation, reasonably and appropriately;
- Has reasonable fundraising costs, recognizing the variety of factors that affect fundraising costs;
- Does not accumulate operating funds excessively;
- Prudently draws from reserve funds consistent with donor intent and to support the public purpose of the organization;
- Ensures that all spending practices and policies are fair, reasonable and appropriate to fulfill the mission of the organization; and
- Ensures that all financial reports are factually accurate and complete in all material respects.
internal controls, competent staff, and other expenditures critical to professional management;
Nigeria Network of NGOs provides comprehensive and timely information to the public, the media, and all stakeholders and is responsive in a timely manner to reasonable requests for information. All information about NNNGO fully and honestly reflects its policies and practices. Basic informational data about NNNGO, such as the audited financial statements are posted on NNNGO’s website or otherwise available to the public. All solicitation materials accurately represent NNNGO’s policies, practices, and programs. All financial, organizational, and program reports are complete and accurate in all material respects.
Nigeria Network of NGOs regularly reviews program effectiveness and has mechanisms to incorporate lessons learned into future programs. NNNGO is committed to improving program and organizational effectiveness and developing mechanisms to promote learning from its activities and the field. NNNGO is responsive to changes in its field of activity and is responsive to the needs of its constituencies.
When raising funds, Nigeria Network of NGOs is truthful in its solicitation materials. NNNGO respects the privacy concerns of individual donors, expends funds consistent with donor intent, and discloses important and relevant information to potential donors. In raising funds from the public, NNNGO respects the rights of donors:
- To be informed of the mission of NNNGO, the way the resources will be used and its capacity to use donations effectively for its intended purposes;
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on NNNGO’s board of directors and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities;
- To have access to NNNGO’s most recent audited financial report;
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given;
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition;
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by the law;
- To expect professional and respectful conduct from NNNGO’s staff;
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organizations or hired solicitors;
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that NNNGO may intend to share; and
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.